Monday, May 12, 2008

Children's Librarians & Children's Authors: Laura Cathon

Storypockets looks at the rich tradition of author-librarians at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. Our previous installment featured LeClaire Alger, AKA Sorche Nic Leodhas. This week, we focus on Laura Cathon.

Laura Cathon (1908-1991) Wasn’t just a children’s librarian. She was head of the Children’s Department in the Main Library. She taught classes in reference service at Carnegie Library School and was active in the American Library Association.

In addition to writing book reviews and professional articles, Laura Cathon edited folklore collections wrote the animal adventure story Tot Botot and his Little Flute.



Next week, Storypockets features author-librarian Elva Smith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I spoke to Veronica Singer, who knew Miss Cathon! We had a nice conversation and she dictated the following to me:

When I arrived in the US at the age of 9, my mother Anna R. Tauber, who was a director of the museum library) and aunt (Lillian R. Young) were librarians. Every Saturday morning while my aunt worked I read and learned English in the library. Miss Cathon was wonderful. Many years after, when my children were little, I always took them to the Carnegie Central Children's Library. And they both met Miss Cathon.