Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
The president of the International Reading Association has written an article in Reading Today for teachers on how to help close the summer reading gap. In addition to the reasons why Summer reading is so important, she suggests some simple tactics for sharing books, especially when you may be short on time.
Monday, July 21, 2008
We're so proud of our local authors!
She Touched The World: Laura Bridgman, Deaf-Blind Pioneer is the compelling biography of teacher, writer, and innovator Laura Bridgman. As a young child, Bridgeman lost her hearing, sight, and most of her sense of smell. She learned to speak and to read. She became a beloved celebrity and an inspirational educator.
The Alexanders' book lets us get to know Laura Bridgman. We see Laura as a child, a student, a teacher, and as a creative and caring individual. We also see what her life and accomplishments have meant for generations of students.
Click here to reserve a copy of She Touched the World.
Click here to visit Sally Hobart Alexander's website.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Who let the dogs in? (woof, woof, woof)
We did! We had a visit from three friendly certified therapy dogs from the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. Marsha Robbins and Amy Coglio shared their dogs so that we could practice dog safety rules provided by the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. They shared a list of 10 safety rules to use with children:
1. Always ask before you touch a dog.
2. Let the dog sniff the back of your hand before you touch him.
3. Touch the dog gently on his back with the palm of your hand.
4. Never touch a dog when he is eating food or chewing a bone.
5. If you give a dog a treat, hold your hand flat like a plate. Let him take the treat from your palm.
6. If you see a dog without his owner, leave him alone.
7. Never run and scream when you are playing with a dog.
8. If a dog comes up to you - be a tree.
9. If you fall down - be a log.
10. Don't put your face in a dog's face.
Labels: family storytime
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Oooh, more raffle winners! For every book each Summer Reading Club member reads, they get a raffle ticket and can choose which prize basket they want to take a chance on. Below are the smiling faces of this week's winners! Congratulations everyone!